Friday, December 31, 2010

In good company.

As the year ends, I just wanted to share some good news regarding my job.  Sort of good news, which is better than sort of bad news.  At this time last year, I didn't know whether our company would still exist the next day.  At times, my pay would come in late, which would throw off my budget.  I haven't had to worry about this for a while.

Business has been picking up ever so slowly, which is better than business going down.  In addition there will be some changes with our business model, which should get us even more customers.  We might get some new equipment, too, but we still have to see about that.

There's a slight chance I may get a raise, but at this point, I'll settle for the slight improvement in job security.  It's a lot better than being less secure or taking a paycut.  There are still some concerns in the back of my mind, and I would probably take the next available job in a heartbeat if offered.  But right now, I'm just damn happy to be employed.  Thank God.
 At home, things are absolutely terrific.  Rocky runs around and jumps around a lot.  He is a very good little boy and hardly throws a tantrum.  I love watching my wife play and interact with him.  It's impossible to express into words the joy I feel, so I won't even try.

I'm happy.

The only thing is, I always have worries in the back of my mind.  I always have a fear that something will go wrong, that I won't make it home or whatever.  Or that I won't have a job.  Or there will be other unforeseen things.  Lately though, I've been able to forget all that and just enjoy life anyway.

The only thing I regret is not caring for Rocky's teeth more.  He had been sleeping with a bottle of milk, and even though we knew it wouldn't be good for his teeth, it was tough for us to take his milk away.  He gave us that sad puppy face, and we caved.  He also hated brushing and would cry a lot when we tried it.  So after a couple of attempts, we decided to try again tomorrow.  And then tomorrow.  And then tomorrow.  And then one day we checked his teeth and what we saw was not good.

At least he'll grow a new set someday.  He still has a great smile.  But I definitely regret being a softy and just toughing it out through his cries.  He still hates brushing, so we have to hold him down when we do it.  As for taking his milk away, I was surprised that he adjusted so quickly.  The first night was tough, and he kept crying and asking for it.  The subsequent nights, he just went back to sleep when we said no.  Once in a while though, he would stare at us hard.  If looks could kill, as they say.  It's really cute.

When he wakes up, he presses his face against me and smiles.  He gives me eskimo kisses and says, "Hi, Daddy!"  Then he'll ask for his show.  "Watch Elmo?"  Or, "Watch Pipper?"  That's how he says Kipper.  Pipper.  He has a ton of energy when he wakes up.  He turns on the switch and goes.

That's it for now.  See you next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment