Monday, December 6, 2010

Queue Tips: To the cleaners.

I just realized that the last episode I watched of "Boardwalk Empire" was the season finale.  Crap.  I actually like this show.  I try not to get into TV shows because then I'll have to watch every episode of every season, but I've been able to keep up with this one. 

The first episode was directed by Martin Scorsese, who is also an executive producer.  Interestingly, it stars Michael Pitt ("The Dreamers"), who in my opinion looks a lot like Leonardo DiCaprio ("The Aviator", "The Departed", "Shutter Island").  Featured in it as well are Kelly Macdonald (Carla Jean in "No Country for Old Men" and Diane in "Trainspotting") and Steve Buscemi (do you not know who this guy is?).

It's about bootlegging in Atlantic City during Prohibition.  Sometimes they mention Jersey City, so hurray, we exist!  Nothing really tops "The Wire" for me, but this HBO series is worth watching whenever it becomes available.  It has also been renewed for a second season, so look forward to that.

Apparently, the movie "Taken" has made a lot of money.  I believe it is the audiences who have been taken in.  Am I just me, or isn't this pretty much the same thing as "Commando"?

The poster reads: "I don't know who you are, but if you don't let my daughter go, I will find you and kill you."  So guess what happens?  They don't let his daughter go.  He finds out who they are.  He kills them.

They made another one like this recently, except his daughter is already dead and he goes out revenging.  I can't remember what it's called.  Maybe you can tell me.


For a good alternative to put on your queue, may I suggest "Funny Games U.S."?  Or you can watch the original "Funny Games" but it's in German so you'll have to read subtitles (oh no!).  It is a shot for shot remake by the same writer-director Michael Haneke.  The differences are, of course, the language spoken and minor details like cell phones instead of land lines.

I saw the remake first, and I found it riveting.  In a time where everybody uses handheld, I found the steady camera work refreshing.  The cinematography was beautiful, the composition purposeful.  The action occured within the frame, and the camera was not constantly looking for things.

As for the acting, it stars Michael Pitt, who I've mentioned above.  You also have Tim Roth (Mr. Pink, you know.  "She killed me, man.  I can't believe she killed me.").  And Naomi Watts should have won something for her performance.  She was bold and excellent.  I loved all the characters and the way the story was told.

So there you go for now.  Check them out and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment