Thursday, December 9, 2010

Queue Tips: You dog dog.

I watched "Wendy and Lucy" because I heard it was good or something.  Plus, I thought the title was interesting.  You know, two girls, you know.  Well, it turns out Lucy is a dog.  No, like a real four-legged barking canine dog.

A few minutes into it, and I was thinking, I haven't seen a movie this boring since "Old Joy" (which is not the sequel to "Oldboy").  What do you know?  It turns out it was made by the same director.  I don't know what she was trying to achieve with these films, but I think it would have been nice if she somehow tried to keep her audience's attention.  If you don't accomplish that, then who cares what you're trying to say?  Nobody's watching.  As artistic as you are, you're only pleasuring yourself, as they say.

"In the Electric Mist " is a film starring Tommy Lee Jones and John Goodman.  Yes, I know you haven't heard of it.  I only learned of its existence through a Netflix ad.  I'm pretty sure it went straight to video.

It's a mystery based on a novel about a couple of murders.  It's not bad, but it's not great.  If you have nothing else to watch on a Sunday morning, I don't think you'd regret popping this into your DVD player.  Or Blu-ray if you're one of those spoiled fancy pants.

Apparently, it's not the sequel to "The Mist".  Interestingly, it's set in New Orleans, and now Goodman is back there again as he stars in the HBO series "Treme".  I also recommend that show once it becomes available on DVD.  Or yes, Blu-ray.

I don't know where I heard about "Donkey Punch", but I wasn't aware of what it was about before I watched it.  It starts out well enough, as I tried to figure out where it was going.  There were some interesting scenes, even.  But then it became apparent what kind of movie it was, just another cliche-ridden horror/thriller type with a bunch of one-dimensional young people dying one by one.

It's pretty lame and pathetic.  You might feel like you've been donkey-punched if you get this DVD.  Or Blu-ray, you spoiled little shit.

Unless you're into that kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment