Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Queue Tips: Inception for a touchdown!

Goal!  Slam dunk!  Home run!  A hockey score thingy!  (What is that, a goal also?  A net, is it?)  Either way, "Inception" is puckin' good.  Christopher Nolan was above par in directing this film.  Advantage: audience.

But I'm a Nolan fan anyway.  He is my second most trusted director, as far as knowing it won't disappoint.  Number one is the Coen brothers (Do they count as two?).  And after them are Danny Boyle, Wes Anderson, Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen and the rest of your favorites.

I believe this is already out on Blu-Ray and DVD, but Netflix won't have it available until January.  But it's okay.  I saw it on the theatre.  On IMAX!  Well, I didn't know what that was exactly.  I mean, I knew what it was.  But not exactly.

I'll explain after the jump.  (That means click to read more.)


I remember in high school, we would have field trips to Liberty Science Center, and they have this domed theatre which would pretty much surround the audience.  We would watch short films about the Grand Canyon or something, and it was an awesome experience.




Well, I thought all IMAX was like that.  So we go into this theatre in Jersey, and I wonder the whole time, how do they fit a dome in here?  This will be very interesting.  Well, I don't have to tell you I was a little bit disappointed that I wasn't surrounded by "Inception".

Nonetheless, it was a great film to watch.  I actually took the day off to watch it.  I haven't gone to the movies in a couple of years -- and I haven't gone again since, by the way -- because of course, we have a toddler and no babysitter.  It just so happened that my wife had Fridays off in the summer, and we paid the daycare for a full work week anyway, so we dropped off Rocky* at daycare and went off to see the matinee.

You know how they say that hell is other people?  That's especially true when you go to the movies.  (And ride on the subway.  Or walk on the street.  Or look outside the window.)  You'd figure in a place where there are only about a dozen patrons, the level of stupidity would exponentially decrease.  Nope.

No wonder so many people were confused by "Inception".  They were too busy texting or talking (on the phone, no less) during the film.  Or even worse, taking a video of the movie in order to, I would only guess, prove to your friends that you did go see "Inception".

Apart from that, however, it was a great experience.  I came in not knowing a thing about the film except for the director and lead actor.  The story itself and the supporting cast were a pleasant surprise.  I love going into a movie with a blank slate and having the pieces become unveiled without any preconceived notions.  I also watched "The Prestige" the same way, as well as many others.  Try it, you might like it.

1 comment:

  1. As I said somewhere else. I love the blank stlate thing too. And I went to see inception the same way. Awesome.
    There are at least two types of IMAX, one is flat and one is enveloping. Enveloping is cooler, but it's hard to watch a regular movie that way, that's why they use it for earth documentaries where it doesn't matter much which way you're lookibng or what you are missing.

    ReplyDelete