Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Queue Tips: Eye Spy

One other thing about re-watching these James Bond films is that I really do enjoy watching the special effects.  They are more effective to me than CGI.  (Get it?  Effective.)  The stunts and explosions are quite fun to see and imagine how they were created, although the obvious use of dummies can be laughable.

One of the cool things I remember from "For Your Eyes Only" is the underwater suits, and how they can talk.  I find it funny that James Bond tells diving partner to talk only when she needs to in order to conserve oxygen, when he should have said that before they had put their suits on.  I never thought of that as a child.

This is the film where James Bond ends up alone in an ice rink with three hockey players, two skaters and a goalie.  They lights go out, and they body check Bond.  It turns out they are hockey assassins!  They don't just whack him with their sticks right away.  They skate around him first.  And I like that Bond is able to keep his balance while fighting them.  Someone just left the ice resurfacer on the ice, and Bond is able to climb on it and drive it.  I haven't been on one of these, but I would figure one would need a key, right?  The hockey players definitely look like they belong on beer league, with the varying color jerseys they are wearing.

Then Bond comes outside and finds one of his allies dead.  Imagine that.  Assassinating someone outside of an ice rink.  It seemed to have been effective with this guy, but apparently they needed to get on ice to get Bond.  For your ice only, I guess.

2/22

No comments:

Post a Comment