Monday, February 28, 2022

Queue Tips: Dead and Gun

When I was growing up, my dad hired some prisoners to fix up our house.  He was most likely not paying them anything but food and beer.  They seemed happy to be just out of jail for a few hours.  One afternoon, one of them was singing a song.  He was not very well educated, from what I gathered, and he explained it was about someone being shot to death the previous day.  "Yesterday he's dead and gun," he said.  I'm not sure if he was kidding.

Apparently, the title for "Tomorrow Never Dies" was influenced by The Beatles song "Tomorrow Never Knows".  I must have heard this song at least once, but I don't remember any of it.  It's funny because when I was writing about "Live and Let Die", I actually pondered whether there were Beatles songs that could have been James Bond film titles.  Nothing really stands out when googalizing their singles.  There are some songs that apply to the character, such as "Please Please Me" and "Do You Want To Know A Secret".  "Cry for a Shadow" seems like an interesting title, but I can't recall that song either.  Maybe they can make a prequel to "Tomorrow Never Dies" called "Yesterday All My Troubles Were So Far Away".

I remember watching this film on New Year's Day in 1998.  I was sleeping over at a family friend's house, and we kind of randomly decided to go to the movies the next day.  He called up a couple of his friends and they came along.  They were a couple of years younger, and one of them seemed to really look up to me and laugh at all my jokes.  I must have spent New Year's Eve at his house, which is possible.  I can't remember if the rest of the family was there.

I don't remember much about the movie itself.  Or what we did after.  I remember we were walking around the mall before.  If I remember correctly, my friend got a Toyota Supra for Christmas.  We must have been driving around in it.  Maybe that was why we decided on the movies, just to have a place to go.

My friend was a big fan of action and martial arts.  He joined the wrestling team and I gathered he was pretty good at it.  He would watch TV shows like "Hercules", and actually he liked science fiction also.  Maybe I should have tried to share in his interests more, but I just was not fond of his taste.  He wasn't crazy about mine either.  I used to watch David Letterman religiously, and a couple of times he tried to sit through it with me.  He even went to see "Hot Shots: Part Deux" in the theatre with me when he came out.  Overall though, we really did not have much in common.

I found him a bit spoiled.  I mean, he received a sports car for Christmas.  And he lived in a nice, big house in the suburbs.  He also complained about having to go to the Philippines for vacation.  I was envious, to be honest.  And I resented that he didn't appreciate what he had.  Through the years we drifted apart.

It's taken me a while to realize it, but I didn't notice that each Bond film had a different score.  I kind of figured the would use the original James Bond theme.  It just has such a powerful sound, especially the brass instruments.

In this film, James Bond meets a woman who turns out to be his ex.  She is married but seems desperate to get back together with him.  Bond is supposed to be a class act, but he definitely seems to me to be the kind of guy who would just ghost you.  He probably never breaks up with women to their face.

No comments:

Post a Comment