Thursday, February 17, 2022

Queue Tips: Double Trouble

Sometimes I think "Diamonds Are Forever" is "Moonraker" because there is a scene of astronauts who look like they are on the moon.  Raking.  

Spoiler alert.  In this film, James Bond kills the bad guy, Blofeld.  But wait!  It wasn't Blofeld.  It was a double.  Later on we find out there's another double.  How do the henchmen know which one is their real boss?  What stops the double from killing the real dude and taking over?  Also, how does the second double know as well?

Later on a couple of bad guys take an unconscious James Bond and leave him inside a giant tube to be buried underground.  The guy is out of it.  They could have choked him, smothered him, stabbed him, shot him.  But they didn't.

One scene that I remembered from when I first saw it a long time ago is when Bond goes to Willard Whyte's house.  There was just something about how Bond casually walks in to this nice big place in the middle of the day alone.  The framing of him in a wide shot really sticks to me.  I didn't remember the specific shots nor its elements, but the idea of him alone in a big space in natural light has stayed in my memory.  The interior location has big windows for sunlight to come in, and there is a wide opening to the pool in the back, overlooking a terrific view of the bright valley.  I just liked the feeling it gave me when I saw it.  

I also remember Bond being assaulted by the two athletic women bodyguards.  It's interesting how I never noted at the time that one was white and one was black.  Watching it now, I also notice how long the takes are, compared to action movies of the present.  There is a medium shot of one of them looking towards the camera, preparing to strike.  And then she does.  And Bond goes down.  You don't really see moments like those anymore in action films, not that I have watched much of the recent ones.  

They continue assaulting Bond, and they end up in the pool, pushing his head underneath the water.  Somehow, after all the blows he's taken, Bond is able to overpower them from under the water, put each hand right on their head, and summon the strength to come up and push them underneath without losing grip after a long moment without breathing air and do so without the two being able to overpower him together just as he had done to both of them alone.

Anyways.  Diamonds are forever, but nothing gold can stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment