Thursday, February 10, 2022

Bonding

At some point in the late 1990s or early 2000s, ABC decided to air James Bond movies every week.  The first one, of course, was "Dr. No".  I didn't recall having seen it before, so I decided to tune in.  I wasn't a big Bond fan or anything, but it seemed to go too slow for me.  I think during the first commercial break, I ended up changing the channel and never did finish the movie.

I'm not sure why I had never seen this movie before, because I have a bunch of memories with Bond films growing up.  Our family got a betamax player in the late 1980s, and we rented Bond movies and watched them together.  I remember friends and family gathered together, and pronouncing Sean Connery as "Seen Connery" when reading the opening credits.

Before my mom left for the United States in 1989, we would stay up late and watch Bond films.  I tried to, anyway, but I never could stay up for the whole.  I remember falling asleep on her lap soon after the action scenes in the beginning.  There were a few nights when this happened.  I recall the feeling that my mom looked forward not only to the movie, but to me being next to her and falling asleep.  Maybe one of those films was "Dr. No".

I think I would ask her what happened the following day.  It was probably too much to explain.  And then I would stay up again the next night.  I don't know.  Maybe it was only two nights altogether, but I recall the feeling that it was a regular thing for at least a week.  I think I was probably clingy knowing that she would be going away.

Kind of like real life, I never really understood what was going on.  I was just trying to observe the action and trying my best to stay up for all of it.  Sometimes you just have to let go and get your rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment