Sunday, January 23, 2011

Queue Tips: True Grit

Apparently, "True Grit" is not a documentary about properly cooking a Southern breakfast.  It is the latest film by the Coen Brothers.  I was so excited about this film when I first heard about it that I went out and rented the 1969 version starring John Wayne.  That wasn't such a good idea because now I knew the plot, and as I've mentioned time and again, I like to know as little as possible about a movie when I see it.

I guess I kind of expected it to be very unlike the first one.  When I heard Quentin Tarantino was directing "Inglourious Basterds", I went out and rented "Inglorious Bastards", the 1978 Italian film.  The differences with those two were pretty stark, including the story.

I guess I expected the same for "True Grit" because I knew the Coens were going to be truer to the novel.  Still, both films' stories are basically the same.

Joel and Ethan definitely had a much better cast, and the performances were excellent.  In the first one, Kim Darby as Mattie Ross was many years older than fourteen and looked it.  It was a little tough for me to look past it, and I think maybe they shouldn't have mentioned her age at all.  Her youth is actually very important though because it adds to her character.  As much as John Wayne is all over the posters for the movie, I think the title applies more to Mattie and her determination.

For the new version, I thought Hailee Steinfeld was terrific.  She is part Filipina, by the way.  It's not really relevant, but just FYI for those who wouldn't mind knowing.

And all you have to do is mention the names of the rest of the main cast - Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Josh Brolin.  Those are pretty much synonymous with good performances.  And then they have Barry Pepper playing Ned Pepper.  Awesome.

Maybe I need to watch it again someday when the earlier film still isn't fresh on my mind.  If you haven't seen that one, then maybe watch the new one first.  If you have seen the John Wayne movie, then I guess I still think it's worth seeing.

I still have to check out the original versions of "Intolerable Cruelty" and "The Ladykillers".  Wait, was "Intolerable Cruelty" a remake?  I always thought it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment