Monday, January 24, 2011

Queue Tips: Are you series?

I don't like TV shows.  Well, I don't want to like them.  If I do, I'll have to sit through all those hours because if I don't watch each and every episode, I feel unfulfilled.  Even if everyone says it's good, I won't check out a TV series because by the time I've heard about it, I've already missed out on some of the shows.

I almost caved with one show though.  People would always mention it on Facebook or Twitter.  "Modern Family" is on.  But I never did change the channel.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend lent me the first season DVDs.  I didn't know anything about the show, but when I saw that Ed O'Neill was in the cast, I decided to give it a chance.  It turned out to be pretty good, actually.

It's kind of like "The Office", but with a modern family instead of an office.  The difference is that some of the timing of the jokes in "Modern Family" are a little off, while some are simply weak.  My guess is that they don't improvise much like the cast of "The Office" does.  Still, it's worth watching I think, and I don't really mind being hooked to it.

A while ago, my friend also let me watch "True Blood".  I didn't like it.  It just wasn't my thing.  So I was glad I didn't have to watch the rest of it.

I did check out HBO's "Boardwalk Empire" though.  It was produced by Martin Scorsese, and he even directed the first episode.  It was okay.  I could take it or leave it.  But since I had started to watch it, I kept tuning in for the rest.  I thought it was interesting that one of the lead actors is Michael Pitt, who kind of looks like Leonardo DiCaprio I think.  I also like hearing references to Jersey City every once in a while.

Another show I've been watching is "Treme".  I highly recommend it.  It's produced by David Simon, who has also written and produced some of my past favorites in "Homicide: Life on the Streets", "The Corner" and "The Wire".

The series is about residents of a neighborhood in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.  I didn't know John Goodman would be in it, so I was pleasantly surprised.  Melissa Leo plays his wife.  In addition, Khandi Alexander also has one of the leading roles.  And in one of the last episodes of the season, I actually saw a client of mine actually saying a line.  So that was cool.  I think the DVD is coming out in a few weeks so be sure to save it on your queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment