Saturday, January 2, 2016

Watching the Jungle Book

I'm sitting here at home next to my baby's rocker with "The Jungle Book" on. He was sleeping soundly for a long while until the scene with the vultures came on. My six year old had been watching quietly, but he couldn't control his excitement. "This is my favorite part!" He uttered out loud. And little brother opened his eyes and wondered what was going on.

The first time big brother watched this movie, it was just after Christmas, too. I remember because I put him in this plaid button jacket that was a present from my wife's cousin. My wife went out to do the groceries at he time, I think, and I used to dress him up nicely as a nice surprise for when Mom returned. 

As for my own first time watching it, it was so many years ago. My mom and I lived in my aunt's house when I first got to America. One afternoon, my three year old little cousin came into the room with a VHS tape of the movie and asked if I wanted to watch with her. I agreed and put it on. 

I had been watching "TaleSpin" on the Disney Afternoon lineup weekdays on Channel 11, so it was a nice surprise to see some familiar characters in Baloo, Louie and even Shere Khan. I really liked the "Bare Necessities" song. I thought the lyrics were clever, and I was impressed - and maybe a little jealous - that this little girl knew all the words to it. 

About halfway through the movie, my aunt came in to check in on us. The TV was right in front of my bed, and while I sat there watching, my little cousin had decided to get under the sheets and cuddle with me. I thought nothing of it, but when her mother saw, she had this look of concern on her face. It was so odd to me. I was twelve. I don't remember her exact words, but she convinced us to get out of the blanket. 

The next time I watched it by myself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment