Monday, January 11, 2016

Listening to Bowie

Finding out about David Bowie's death this morning was pretty shocking. I did not know he had cancer. He had been in the news for his new album coming out, and I assumed everything was fine. 

I recently watched him in "The Prestige" a few days ago. I had a meeting with a British company, and it inspired me to watch some Britcoms and British films (Brilms?). I ended up putting on the Christopher Nolan film while preparing for my meeting. 

When I first watched it in the theatre years ago with my wife, I didn't realize it was Bowie who played Nikola Tesla in the film. I only found out after through imdb or maybe Wikipedia or something else. And Nolan had to convince Bowie to play the part, according to the DVD's bonus features. 

Anyway, I spent the morning playing Bowie tunes while I was at work. I burned a CD and brought it with me to play in the car when my wife picked me up. We then went to get our son from school. 

I think "Fame" was playing when he got into the car. It was followed by "Suffragette City". Things were normal, and we talked about the schoolday and other topics as we usually do. And my wife turned the volume down a little during it. 

When "Space Oddity" came on, I thought about pressing the next button. I couldn't remember what the next song would be, but I hoped it would be more upbeat. And then my son said something. 

"Oh, can you turn it up?" he said, "because I like this song." I don't think he ever heard it before. He started humming along to it, repeating some of the words. My wife and I just listened and smiled. 

I was kind of filled with emotion, to be honest. I was so proud that my six year old would like such a song. Earlier I told him that the singer was David Bowie. "Oh, Daddy Bowie?" he said, laughing like crazy because we had the same first name. 



No comments:

Post a Comment