Friday, January 1, 2016

Parking at the Park

I've been running at the park early in the morning for a few years now. There are some who come regularly around that time in the summer. I like going in the freezing winter because there's no one else there. It feels like the whole place belongs to me. 

On New Year's Day, there is usually an influx of newcomers. After a few weeks - or days - they all pretty much he disappear. It's the same thing every year. Obviously it has to do with their new year's resolution but I guess they're not quite so resolute about it. 

Anyways, I've missed a few weeks now because of our new baby. It's hard to resist sleeping when you get so little of it. And even if you do muster up the determination to rise and grind - as they say - it's tough running when you've gotten so little rest. But with the days off due to the holiday, and my wonderful wife watching the little guy, I was able to finally get back on track. 

Even though I couldn't actually run in the track, as it is currently shut down for renovations. But I do run around the park sometimes, especially when I feel like avoiding the people at the track. And I still park by the track even if I don't run in it. 

When I got to the parking lot, there was a sheriffs deputy car standing by a parked car. It's lights weren't flashing so I wondered whether the deputy knew the driver and they were simply chatting. I drive past them and left my car at the usual spot. As I ran past, I noticed that there seemed to be two people inside the civilian car. I don't usually care about other people's business so I just went ahead with my run. 

As I rounded back for my second lap, I noticed the car leaving. The next time around, the deputy's car was still there. When u finally finished and got in my car, I noticed a piece of paper on the windshield. 

I grabbed and saw this:


I was aware that there were signs about parking before sunrise so I was glad that it wasn't a ticket. But I had been going there early for years with no issues. I was even there after Hurricane Sandy when the park had no lights and thick with fog. (It was kinda cool; maybe I'll tell you about it later.) And it's not like I'm gonna run through the very safe streets of Jersey City at 4am when I could drive to a park where police are patrolling. 

I don't know. Maybe some teenagers had been causing some mischief during their winter break. Maybe the note was from a new guy (and I have to set him straight!). We'll see. 






No comments:

Post a Comment