Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Priorities Change

What would you do if you won the Powerball? Back in high school, I asked my friends what they wanted so I could buy it for them when I became a millionaire. Some of them wanted cars or houses, and one wanted an island. I believe I still have that list somewhere, though I'm hardly in touch anymore with most of those people. 

I think at that time, I mostly wanted to be able to buy a house for my mom. And maybe buy airline tickets to get some of my relatives over here to live or just visit. It would have been great to give my grandparents a tour of America and maybe the world. They're dead now. 

In the late '90s, I wanted to just follow the New York Yankees around and watch every game live. I wanted to drive around the country in a Toyota 4Runner. Maybe with the girl I liked. Well, I wouldn't have been able to play the lottery yet anyway, so of course it didn't happen. I just sat on the couch watching the games by myself and drinking a six pack of Heineken. 

In the early 2000s, I wanted to win the Mega Million and spoil my little cousins. I wanted to buy them stuff and take them on vacation around the world. Maybe to a theme park in Hong Kong or Japan. Or both. My uncle actually just wanted to drive a truck around the United States. I wish I could have helped him with that dream of his. 

Later on, I just wanted to see the world with my girlfriend and, well, make babies, as the saying goes. Well, now we are married and do have two kids. With school and everything, traveling is sort of out of the question. Even in the summer time, I want my kid out there in the tennis courts practing forehands and backhands. 

So what would I do with millions of dollars at this point? Of course, I would buy a bug house for the family. Get a new car, which would be more dependable than the old one we've had. And probably spoil ourselves with a maid or something. 

Of course, it would be nice not having to work. But I would probably invest some of it into the films I've been planning on making. 






No comments:

Post a Comment