Sunday, December 6, 2015

Futudrama

So one day after work, we were sitting around the living room, and I decide to turn on the tv. I usually let my boy watch PBS Kids, but he was grounded at the time so he couldn't watch it. There wasn't really anything good on in the thousands of channels that were available. But "Futurama" was on at Comedy Central. So I was like, what the hell. 

So we watched it. But there were commercials. And I hate commercials. So I broke out the DVDs. And when I watch a tv series, it's hard not to watch the entire series. 

So for a few weeks now we had been watching "Futurama" after school. It's not exactly made for six year olds, but we made sure he knows not to say "Bite my shiny metal ass" at school. 

His favorite episode is the one where Fry, Leela and Bender become superheroes. One day he took some Lego pieces and said he was playing Futurama. He was singing "The New Justice Team" theme song and repeating the show's dialogue. 

We are currently at Season 4. The other day, he sees Richard Nixon's head and says, "Ugh. I don't like Richard Nixon. He's so mean and grumpy." We laughed. Then he made up a song about it. It was funny. You had to be there. 

One night, my wife went to do the laundry and Ryan and I watched while the baby slept. The episode was called "Jurassic Bark". It was about Fry's dog, who kept waiting for him after he was cryogenically frozen and never came back until he was thawed in the future. 

Usually he'll ask for more after the episode. But this time he just sat quietly, staring at the menu. So I asked him what was wrong. 

That's when the tears came. "Seymour kept waiting and waiting. And Fry had everything ready but he didn't want to clone him!" Or something like that. He was bawling. Poor little guy. He even reenacted how the dog got old and died. 

I just hugged him. I told him it was a sad story and that it's okay to cry. And then I wiped his tears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment