Monday, December 7, 2015

Blunderwear

Have you seen this commercial about giving underwear for the holidays? It's funny. It tells you whether it's okay to give underwear to some people and whether it's not.



Well, I could have used that advice on the sixth grade. I came to the U.S. at the end of August of that year, and I really had no idea what American kids were like. I barely spoke at my first school in Queens and then had to start over in a new school when we moved to Jersey City in December. I found out the class would be exchanging gifts for Christmas, and I was at a loss at what to get. 

One day at home, someone gave me their xmax present early. I don't remember the circumstances as to why I opened it right away when I got it. I think I had asked my mom for advice regarding my Secret Santa at school, and she had this brilliant idea: Why not just re-gift this present? Of course, the term re-gift was not yet coined at the time, and the idea of simply passing a present along didn't seem wrong or indecorous. 

So I opened the gift. It was a box of underwears. I don't remember the brand or who gave it. Some distant relative I had never met in the Philippines is my guess. I re wrapped it, put my classmate's name on it, and brought it to school. 

When the day came, the laughter and snickering took me by surprise. I thought it was a practical thing. I mean, after all, doesn't everybody use underwear? Lesson learned. Don't give a box of briefs to a boy you barely know in a new school in the sixth grade. Suffice it to say, I didn't make any lifelong friends in that school. 




No comments:

Post a Comment