Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Queue Tips: I am dumber for...

I am dumber for having watched "I Am Number Four".  It's about a teenager who's actually an alien trying to blend in with normal people.  I don't think I'm really giving away anything, because all that is explained in the first few minutes.  Via voiceover.  If you're just going to narrate to me, why don't I just turn off the movie and read the book?

The filmmakers don't seem to understand that what makes this kind of genre work is letting the audience discover that your protagonist is special, not letting the cat out of the bag immediately.  Take for example Harry Potter, or Charlie Bucket or Luke Skywalker.  They start out as regular kids and gradually we find out they are special.

So giving it away right away kind of makes it lame.  And that makes all the crazy alien ways even lamer.  It's all so ridiculous, like some little kid making up stories before bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment