Friday, September 23, 2011

Queue Tips: Despicable you.

I actually don't have Netflix anymore.  I cancelled it over a year ago.  A friend of mine actually lets me put some DVDs on his queue and lets me watch them.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe he's nice or something.

Let me summarize some reasons why I unsubscribed from the service.  The main reason I moved on was really when they raised the price.  At the time, it was really just around $1 more a month.  But why should a pay even a penny more when the service I'm getting is dwindling?

I had been getting many scratched and even broken DVDs.  When this happens, I would sometimes get a replacement, but then I would have to wait another day or two for it.  Or I won't get a replacement at all.  It would go on short wait.  Or long wait.  Or extremely long wait.  Or the "saved" section, which means they don't actually have it.  Or they used to have it, but the DVDs broke and they don't want to replace it.

What really appealed to me about Netflix was the selection of movies and TV shows they had.  Blockbuster, Hollywood or that little store around the block simply didn't have as much to choose from.  I got to see many films by my favorite directors without having to take a train to the city to a Kim's Video branch (which is now, as far as I know, out of business).

One reason that really made me irate is the stripping of the extra features.  Taking away the audio commentary really angers me, to be honest.  The additional audio track only takes a few megabytes on the DVD, so why not just leave it in there?  The company took all this effort to re-author a disc in order to deprive a customer of what they used to get.

What really infuriates me is what I found on "Despicable Me", for example.  I knew they stripped DVDs of extra features, so I didn't expect to find any bonus materials.  After watching the movie, the DVD automatically when to the extra features menu.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that.  There were a handful of bonus choices.

So I clicked one.  It went to a page that essentially said, "This DVD does not have extra features.  Get the Bonus DVD for the extra features."  Or something to that extent.

So I moved on and clicked the next option on the menu.  It said the same thing.  And so did the others.

So my question is, why even put the damn extra features menu page on  the damn disc?  Why even put the different bonus choices on there?  The company is essentially taunting me.  It actually re-authored a DVD just so it can show me what they have that I used to get for free.

I'm not even going into the whole silliness of the Qwikster thing.  I am eagerly looking forward in anticipation of the downfall of this company.

Anyways, I did find "Despicable Me" enjoyable.  Timeout boy liked it, but it's not really for two year olds.  I would say it's more for grade school kids and older.


No comments:

Post a Comment