Friday, February 11, 2011

Queue Tips: Blue Valentine

Apparently, "Blue Valentine" is not the sequel to "My Bloody Valentine".  Or "Blue Velvet".  This is a film starring Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling.  Also in it is John Doman, who played Rawls in HBO's "The Wire".

I really liked the writing and editing of this film.  The past and future were intercut together very well and pretty seamlessly.  Unlike in "Rabbit Hole", we were able to see the characters change.

The film starts with the death of their family dog.  It instantly reminded me of "Wendy and Lucy" where Williams plays a character who has lost her dog.  And then I thought maybe this film was made by the same director.  Maybe Kelly Reichardt finally realized she should try and connect with the audience.  Well, after the film, I checked the credits and found that this was directed by Derek Cianfrance, about whom I pretty much know nothing.  I think he did an excellent job with this film, and I look forward to seeing more from him in the future.  Meanwhile, Reichardt is probably working on some other boring shit.

The acting was superb.  Ryan and Michelle were both very natural and believable.  What else can I say?  I think of stuff while viewing but totally forget once it's done.  And it doesn't help when so much time passes before blogging.  So I guess, just check it out when you get a chance.




No comments:

Post a Comment