Monday, July 11, 2011

Timeout Boy at the Turtle Back Zoo

I used to hang out at West Orange all the time, and I never even realized there was a zoo there.  I only heard about Turtle Back Zoo a few months ago, and recently we decided to check it out.  We heard it was a great place for kids, and indeed it was.

It was kind of hard to find.  There's not a lot of signage pointing to the place.  Even when we got to the parking lot, we weren't sure which space to take because we didn't see right away where the main entrance was.  (We like to come early, and there weren't many cars yet.)

The playground was closed that day, but Timeout Boy still seemed to have a lot of fun.  He liked the carousel and the bear house.  He also liked the wolves, and we stayed to watch them for a long while.  The best part is the bird house, where they sell these feed sticks that the kids can use to feed the birds.  Here is a video:



There's also a train that goes by the lake.  The kids there seemed to enjoy it, but Timeout Boy fell asleep during the ride.  He hasn't had his nap all day, and after all that walking and running around all day, he was knocked out.

Afterwards, we drove around West Orange and Essex County.  My wife and her cousin were a little on edge because I didn't tell them I was planning on driving through South Mountain Reservation.  They were thinking of horror movie stuff and didn't want to go walking through the woods.  Well, I didn't force them to, because it was raining anyway.

And then I took them to Eagle Rock Reservation.  LOL.  I was hoping we could see the New York skyline from there but it was foggy.




No comments:

Post a Comment