Thursday, February 4, 2021

National Girls and Women in Sports Day

So apparently, yesterday was National Girls and Women in Sports Day.  I think it's awesome when girls and boys play together.  I feel like any kid is able to accomplish as long as they work hard.

One time while we were waiting for the kids to finish their sessions (you know, back when parents and spectators were allowed in the rink), there was this mom and her little toddler daughter standing by the locker room door.  The gate opened, and the kids started piling up to exit.  The mom says out loud, "Here come the boys!"

Without thinking, I blurt out, "And girls."

The mom looks at me, smiles and repeats, "And girls."

That was a nice moment.  I actually don't remember seeing them again after that.  It was kind of a busy hectic day so maybe I just don't recognize them.  But that was a nice moment.

---

Anyways, we don't have girls on our team this year.  We were all boys last year also.  Our kids are all polite and pleasant, and I think these young men could provide a good inclusive environment.  I really wanted Delilah to be on the same team as Rusty, but she actually wanted to be with her friends on an all girls team.  They did get to play together on a select team for Hockey in New Jersey last year, so that was nice.  They each scored a goal, so that was also nice.

---

And one final random thought.  I'm not crazy about "Lady" team names.  Lady Cougars, Lady Tigers, Lady Cowboys (really?).  I don't think it's fair that the ladies have to differentiate and specify themselves from the not lady teams.  And if you look at the animal mascots, like cougars and tigers, the female of the species are actually the fiercer ones most of the time, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment