Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Memory Gland: A lucid dream.

Sometimes I think too much.  I am also a light sleeper.  This is not a good combination.

I wake up at least a couple of times a night.  I don't mind when I can get back to sleep right away.  But sometimes a thought will pop into my head, and my mind will wander.  And then an hour or two will pass, and I haven't gotten back to sleep yet.

(This is one reason why I write this blog even though no one really reads it.  It's good to be able to dump some of these things and clear my head.)

Anyway, last night I had such a rough time trying to get sleep that I went into a half-asleep, half-awake mode.  If that even makes any sense.  I ended up working on a video slideshow for Timeout Boy's third birthday.  And then my wife sat beside me and started giving me suggestions on the edit.

And then somehow, she turned into my client.  It was about three in the morning, and I told her I understood her directions but I was just about to sleep.  So then she lay back down in bed and faced towards her side of the bed.  I really don't think this is anything sexual because she is this old lady who looks and sounds like Lorraine from "MadTV".  I hope it's not, anyway.

And then Timeout Boy, like he sometimes does, rolled in his crib and talked in his sleep.  He said something like, "We have to play again!"  And we both laughed.

So then I reached for the standing floor lamp to turn off the light.  For some reason, its metal pole was wrapped tightly in an old faded beach towel.   I then noticed that on the wall near the ceiling were some big staple like thingies.  So then I realized the landlord or some workers must have been there to fix something up.

I lay down on the bed facing towards my side.  I then felt the need to pee.  But I didn't want to get up.  I wanted to sleep.  I thought about it for a minute or so.  And then I finally got up and headed to the bathroom.

I walked past the kitchen and noticed a couple of lines on the wall to my left.  I thought maybe they were more of those big staple thingies, so I wanted to touch them.  However, I couldn't move my left arm.  I used my right hand to lift my left arm from the elbow.  When I touched the lines, I saw that they were tiny cracks on the wall.

I stood in front of the toilet, just about to go, when I glanced behind me at the tub.  But it wasn't the tub.  It was another bed,  and my wife in it.  So I start thinking this isn't right, that there shouldn't be a bed in the bathroom.  So I guess I'm seeing things.

I reach for the light so I could see the room clearly.  But the light doesn't turn on.  I look at my wife and she smiles at me.

That's when I realized I was dreaming.  It was pretty scary and pretty cool at the same time.  How often do you know you're dreaming while you're in the dream?  Not often for me, so that part was pretty exciting.

But of course, I'm just not used to that, so I was kind of worried.  I yelled out loud, "I want to wake up!"

And then I was standing outside the bathroom door, looking towards the bed and the crib.  Suddenly, it was like I was in a DVD that was skipping.  Facing forward, then backward.  Forward, backward.

And there were a few seconds of black.  And then I woke up back in bed.  My wife was sleeping soundly next to me, and my son was snoring quietly in his crib.

It was actually a pretty awesome little adventure.  I just might be capable of having a real lucid dream someday.  But at the same time, to be honest, it's pretty terrifying.

And now here is a scene from "Waking Life":



No comments:

Post a Comment