Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Timeout Boy at the Reception.

My wife's former co-worker invited us to her wedding reception a few weeks ago.  I was hesitant at first because we didn't have anything to wear and we didn't know any of the other guests.  Mostly, I was concerned about how Timeout Boy would behave at that fancy restaurant.

We got there pretty early.  We were the second group to arrive.  We found our table and waited a while for things to get started.

Timeout Boy sat in a high chair at the end of the table.  He had his friend Red with him, a MegaBlok mini-figure which he played with for a while until he started banging it on the table and we had to take the toy away.  He also had his milk and crackers.

A couple who was at our table commented that he was very well behaved, which kind of surprised me.  I thought, yes, I guess he was.  My son had been a good boy all night.  They said they had a kid about the same age, and he would have been running around all over.  We figured if Timeout Boy knew the people there, he would probably be doing the same.

Here is my son enjoying the music:


The other day before the Jets game, we stopped by Fun Buffet and were seated at a booth.  I sat on one side with my friend, and my wife and son were on the other.  When my wife left to get food, Timeout Boy sat there quietly drinking his milk.  The group across from us stared at him and asked how old he was.  I said two, and they looked surprised.

"Wow, he is so well mannered," said one of them.  I simply smiled.  Yes, he is, I thought to myself.

Funny thing is, growing up, "well mannered" kids seemed to be the norm, if I remember correctly.  Even when I visited the Philippines, I don't remember seeing kids acting out.  I'm not sure why that is.

Maybe it's the culture?  Parents there aren't worried about spanking their kids if they had to.  Or the teachers in school, for that matter.  Maybe it's the economy?  Parents are working more and have less time at thome?  I'm not sure.  I don't know why I'm even going into it.

I must say, though, it's a big relief to be able to go to a restaurant and not have your two year old kicking and screaming like we sometimes see.

Oh yeah, here's some more dance:




No comments:

Post a Comment