Friday, December 11, 2009

Workin' Dem Corners

So, in order to drum up some business, the powers that be at work thought up this idea of printing out coupons.  I volunteered to stand outside Manhattan Mall and hand them out, and I was there a couple of times this week.  At first, it was a little awkward, just not knowing exactly where to stand and with the paper coupon being blown all about in the wind.  But I soon got the hang of it.

I decided to just stand by the wall at Bank of America and focus only on the people going southward.  That way I didn't have to keep turning.  And then I learned that some people do want to take what you're giving them.  With the wind blowing, I just made sure I handed off the paper right into their hands.  In about a half hour, the pile was gone.

There are millions of people in this city, and even though most wouldn't take, there are always others who will.  It was also nice just to stand there in a busy section, not hurrying to be anywhere in particular, and just look at the people as they come and go.  It was actually refreshing to look at people's faces, and a couple actually talked to me.

I'm not sure whether the coupons are working though.  So far, only one came back to our office.  Many of the people out there are tourists, and some don't speak (or read) English.  Others probably took a quick glance at the coupon and figured we where a video store.  And video stores are becoming obsolete.  So I don't know.

We had a meeting the other day, and we were asked to come up with ways to make money now.  And I was thinking, if we knew of a way to bring people in this instant, we would have done it already.  The only ways we know of - and are fairly certain about - require some groundwork.  But those suggestions are ignored because they wouldn't bring in clients right this instant.

I don't know.  I might not have a job in a few weeks.  I am currently applying at other places.  It's scary.

2 comments:

  1. hang in there. scary times pass.
    me for example am feeling a bit anguished right this instant in the midle of the night. somehow reading about myself in your earlier post relaxed me a bit and made me feel good (though somehow I also felt very slightly like crying)
    you will be ok.
    big hug. elfino

    ReplyDelete
  2. also...take it as an opportunity to move forward to another job

    ReplyDelete