Monday, June 29, 2009

Insurance

I got married last Friday. Just a small ceremony at the courthouse. The whole thing took 3 minutes. We went to McDonald's after for breakfast. We were joking around that that was the reception. It was a rainy day, and the judge said that was a good thing because it'll be nothing but sunshine after.

I don't really feel that much different. I don't think you need a wedding to prove that you love somebody. And half of the married people in America get divorced anyway. So I don't know that having a ceremony even ensures anything. And besides, our families are far away from us. Mine is in the Philippines, and hers is in Oahu.

I was planning on having a traditional Hawaiian wedding like that Jon & Kate episode. We would have it on our anniversary on September 9 of this year. Then our marriage date would be 09-09-09. That would have been cool. And easy to remember.

However, that would have cost money. And not that I have any more time to take off from work. And of course, the fall semester would just be starting, which is a busy time for Gail.

So when Gail's mom was here a couple of months ago, we decided to tie the knot while she was here. We asked for her blessing. She said to make sure it's what we wanted, and that we weren't doing it because of Ryan. So I said, "Of course not. I'm doing it for the health insurance!" Just kidding.

Anyway, we went and got the license. Of course, it takes time to process, and Mommy was leaving for Alabama already. So unfortunately, she couldn't be there for the wedding. Then we figured, okay, Gail's cousin BJ is coming over here to study, so let's schedule it after she gets here. She'll represent the family.

Fast forward, and now I'm wearing this wedding band on my finger. I gotta get used to it. I don't really wear rings or other kinds of jewelry. The last time I had one was during my heavy metal look phase late in high school and early in college when I always dressed in my black Slayer shirts, long chains and my skull choker and matching cross-bones ring. (I still listen to metal but don't bother with the look any more.) I've already been yelled at a couple of times for forgetting to wear it. Man, I sure hope I don't lose this thing.

That's the only thing that's changed really. This thing on my finger. I feel like I've been married to Gail since we started in 2005. And we've been living together for a long time already anyway. But now I can officially call her my wife. And she's changing her last name to mine. And we'll keep loving each other and loving Ryan and make seven more babies like Jon & Kate Plus Eight.

3 comments:

  1. um, hello we started in 2004.. and NO, we're not having 7 more kids.. you crazy?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! I didn't know whis blog existed...I just wondered: "what would happen if I click here?" and here I am.
    YAY

    ReplyDelete
  3. and another thing...I just now finished reading these entries. congratulations man.
    battery running out. gotta go.
    much love

    ReplyDelete