Friday, June 19, 2009

Dave's World

I'm sitting here in my office watching DVDs, as things have been slow at work lately. Actually, for a long time now. In fact, we even moved to a new space in order to cut costs. The boss signed the lease so hastily that he didn't even consider the wiring of the place, and we short out the circuits whenever we use the microwave, which is all the time, as we all pretty much brown bag it every day.

As far as my office, it's not the most ideal for a Video Editor. The shades are so thin and the lighting is so bright, that I've pretty much been getting major headaches everyday. It's not easy staring at a monitor with sunlight behind it, and there's pretty much no other place to put it as we are physically limited.

I've been asking my boss for thicker shades since we moved in here a month ago, and he keeps saying he'll get right on it. But he's here three days a week, and he spends his four-day weekends in Florida. So I finally decided to grab some cardboard boxes and propped them up against the window. They help ever so slightly, and it makes me feel that at least I did something about it. But it doesn't look very professional, and there's still a glare coming in from the inside lighting.

Recently, I've been telling our clients, "We're a no-frills company. We don't have a big space, couches, rugs, plasma TVs or vending machines, but we do offer experience and expertise." That kind of bullshit.

I would take another job in a heartbeat, but there is no other job to take. Unless I start out as an intern or freelance. And I need the steady paycheck, as I have a three-month old son at home. But more and more these days, I'm considering taking a chance as a freelancer. The situation at work is getting scary, and I don't know if one day my boss will just say, "Sorry, guys, we're done." Then where would I be?

My fianc
é is getting promoted next month, although we're not sure how much more she'll be getting. We're hoping it would be twice the amount, but it's highly unlikely. Once we find out, then maybe we can make better decision for me career-wise.

In the meantime, I'll just sit here and watch episodes of "
Dave's World." I remember enjoying it when it first aired on CBS in the 90s. But I was still in the eighth grade back then. Not that it's not funny. I just thought I would be laughing more.

Also, for some reason, they changed the
theme song from a version of Billy Joel's "You May Be Right" to some slower instrumental, which just doesn't fit. The title sequence has a dog running around and craziness ensuing, and the music to it should be a little more upbeat. I wonder why they changed it. Maybe they're suffering from the recession, too, and didn't want to pay the residuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment