Friday, September 6, 2024

Queue Tips: Chef's Kiss

I don't remember when I watched "Chef", but it was one of those movies where I just put it on to put it on.  That is what I usually do.  Just have some background noise while I'm working.  But I ended up watching it.  Like actively watching.  I found myself laughing and smiling and feeling good after.  And I believe I watched it all the way through.  Thank goodness I didn't have meetings or other work to do.

Basically I liked it.  So I don't really have much to say about it except that I do recommend it.  Check it out when you get the chance.

The one thing that really resonated with me is what the chef said to his son about being a chef.  Cheffing.  Is that a word?  He said:

I may not do everything great in my life, but I'm good at this. I manage to touch people's lives with what I do and I want to share this with you.

That is kind of how I feel about coaching.  I'm confident enough to say that I'm good at it.  My older one was a starting center for his team last year.  When I started really getting into coaching him, he was always in the top ten out of all the kids in his division in scoring, assists and points.  And my younger one is one of the best skaters in his team and is already more advanced than most in positioning.

As far as their teammates, I've been able to help there as well.  Not to brag or take the whole credit, but I've been able to give simple pointers which helped change their games.  

I guess the operative word with me is simple.  I just know how to break it down.  A few years ago there were a couple of kids who were not making any impact in games.  I told them, "Just get your stick on their stick".  And that basic advice changed these kids' games.  Suddenly they were forechecking like crazy and forcing turnovers.  This was the year before I officially became a coach, and their coaches were praising their effort.  That was a factor in me figuring out that I could actually be of help.

There have been many other countless moments since then.  "Crash the net".  "Get to the wall".  And of course, "Bend your knees".  Always with the bend your knees.  I must have said that phrase over a million times over the years.

There are some kids who wave to me or go out of their way to fist bump me.  And I really enjoy it.  It makes it really worthwhile.  There was a kid one time who started at clinic and then moved on to a team, but not my team.  One time their practice was ending, and our session was next.  I saw him across the building packing up and getting ready to go.  And then a few minutes later, he was right next to me, giving me a fist bump.  He wanted to make sure I saw him before he left.

No comments:

Post a Comment