Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Evening Shows

After the Disney afternoon lineup ended, the cartoon shows were over on weekdays.  I think from time to time, I did check out the other channels but found nothing I liked.  I think there were cartoons on Channel 5 also, but I didn't really like those Fox shows.  I think one of them was the muppet babies.  I just didn't get it, and I liked the shows on Channel 11 more.

Then at 5pm, there was "Saved by the Bell".  I thought it was interesting.  As a twelve year old who was new to the country, I watched it more for curiosity, wondering what high school kids in the States were like.  I think there were also commercials for it during the cartoon shows so I kind of decided to stay on the channel and check it out when it did come on.  I kinda thought it was funny, I guess.

At 5:30pm, there was "Charles In Charge".  I liked it, too.  I liked the theme song.  I think there were actually commercials for all these shows all afternoon.  I guess I thought it was funny.  Interestingly, at that age, I kind of already figured out the formula.  Every time there was a lesson that Charles wanted to teach the kids, it turns out the same lesson could be applied to himself.

Likewise, "Full House" kind of had that same formula sometimes.  Uncle Jessie would have something to teach his nieces, but the same thing could be applied to him.  This came on at 6pm.  I remember my little cousin really liked this show.  She really liked little Michelle.  There were definitely a lot of commercials for this show on WPIX.

Then at 6:30pm, there was "Growing Pains".  I didn't really understand what the title meant, or what the expression was.  It seemed like a typical show where the kids are trouble makers and get into trouble and stuff.  I guess I liked it, too.

At 7pm, there was "A Different World".  I remember the theme song kind of being stuck in my head.  I didn't really get into it.  Mostly, I never got to watch it in full.  I think this was around dinner time, not that we all ate dinner together or something.  Actually, that probably never happened.  But I think this was around the time my mom would get home, and I think I started getting ready for bed or something.  I think we went to sleep at 8pm.  

Also, I think my mom liked to watch "Jeopardy!", which also came on at 7pm on Channel 7.  My uncle used to like this show.  I think my mom encouraged me to watch this because it would make me smarter or something.  And then "Wheel of Fortune" came on at 7:30pm, which I liked better.  I think I used to be able to guess the clues fairly easily.

I think we watched some primetime shows after 8pm.  I think "Full House" came on during Tuesdays on ABC.  I think I also watched "Home Improvement".  I think my mom also liked "Who's The Boss?" but I never really got into it.  And sometimes we would watch whatever movie was on on Channel 11.  I think we rarely finished it though because we had to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment