Sunday, September 15, 2024

Noontime Shows

When I was twelve and living at my aunt, uncle and cousin's house, my mom would sometimes work on Saturdays and I would stay home.  I can't recall doing much with my aunt's family.  We didn't go to the park or anything like that, as far as I can remember.

When I first got there, I think my mom and I went shopping with my Aunt.  I don't know where my uncle and cousin had gone to that day.  We went to this department store called Alexander's.  I remember my aunt was looking for the petite section because she was a small Asian lady.  I think I found a ninja turtles sweater that my mom bought for me.  She also got me a set of pajamas.  I think she may have sent me a pair, too, back in the Philippines but maybe I didn't bring them with me.  I did wear them then because I had them, but I didn't really wear pajamas to sleep most of my life.

That was like the one thing I did with my aunt.  As for my uncle, he took me and my little cousin to Sesame Street Live one time at Nassau Coliseum.  For some reason I thought we would be going to a taping of the actual show, like in the studio or something.  I didn't realize they produced shows like the one we would be going to.  It was okay.  I enjoyed it.  I wasn't really too familiar with Sesame Street, although I did buy a Grover book a few years before that I liked.  My little cousin's favorite was Elmo, which I didn't even know existed.  I knew about Big Bird and Bert and Ernie but not him.  This was in 1991, and I think he was still a new character then.

When we got to the arena, we were seated on the upper section.  On the stage below, I could sorta get a glimpse of things happening behind the curtain, and I wanted to check it out.  So during intermission I got up to go across to the other side to get a better look.  My uncle yelled at me and told me not to just get up and to that.  I didn't know how to explain myself.  I did understand and know how to speak English, but I wasn't too familiar in a conversational way and especially did not know how to speak up for myself.  His sudden reaction also caught me off guard so I just sat down quietly.

That was pretty much the one thing I did with my uncle.  Well, actually, I think on my first or second day in America, he took me and my little cousin to McDonald's to get a Happy Meal, which I didn't know existed.  He got upset that they didn't have a different toy or something and he kind of yelled at the workers there.  I didn't even realize I would be getting a toy.  I think it was a little mermaid toy.

Other than that, when I was home without my mom, we never really went anywhere.  I think I pretty much would do my homework.  The morning cartoon shows ended around 10am, and I think I couldn't find anything I like for the next couple of hours.  

And then at noon, WWF wrestling would come on and I would watch it.  I didn't really get to see much of it in the Philippines.  I was familiar with Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior but never really got to see any matches.  So noontime on Saturday sitting in our bedroom alone in Queens was the first time I got to see an actual wrestling match.  I think one of the memorable ones for me was when Bret Hart finished a match, and then the Mountie came and threw water at him and electrocuted him with his cattle prod thingy.  I kinda remember my uncle checking in on me or something or to ask me something, but again I wasn't very talkative.  It's possible they may have asked me to come eat and I might have said I wasn't hungry or something.  But I just remember preferring to stay there by myself instead of joining them.

After wrestling, there was American Gladiators, which was kind of interesting.  At some point when I would walk downstairs, I found my uncle sitting on the couch watch the New York Yankees game.  I didn't really understand baseball so I just walked past.  I probably didn't even say hello.  I don't think he liked how quiet I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment