Monday, May 30, 2022

My Neighbor Xavier

I never thought of myself as someone who would live in a gated community, but I ended up doing it.  Mainly, I have a lot of trouble sleeping, and it's nice that the neighborhood is pretty quiet.  Everywhere else I have lived, there always seems to be some jackass blasting music out of their car at 3 in the morning.  Also, in our last place, there was a church right next to us, and you could hear and feel the drums on Sundays, and sometimes all night on certain occasions.

So now we're on a private street.  Not a lot of cars around, except for those who are lost who don't understand what a "No Outlet" sign means.  The kids play outside almost everyday.  And they have made friends with other kids in the community.

One of those friends is Xavier, maybe a year or two older than Dusty, who is 6, but they get along really well.  On the rare moments that we are inside, Xavier comes to our door and knocks or rings the doorbell. Then he asks, "Can Dusty come out and play?"  It's so cute.  I'm so glad my kids can have that.

And sometimes Dusty goes over to Xavier's house and asks him to play.  There are a couple of other kids who hang out with them.  It's just really nice that they get to do that.

Xavier's mom tells him what time he needs to be home.  So when they are playing by our house, he comes up to me once in a while and asks what time it is.  Usually 8 o'clock is when he has to go.  And then he'll say goodbye and leave.  Sometimes Dusty walks him home, which is just a block away.

No comments:

Post a Comment