Sunday, July 1, 2012

Timeout Boy's Greatest Hits

One reason why I started this blog was to put down some moments with my kid for posterity.  Unfortunately, most often it would take too long for me to finally have time to write about it.  Also, I would try too hard sometimes to find the write right words and discourage myself.

And now here we are three years later, and I haven't even written my son's first words.  I'm sure I've forgotten many of them by now.

So before I forget even more, here are some of Timeout Boy's greatest hits...


ball - This was his first word, as far as I know.  When he first started crawling around 7 months, we bought a couple of balls from Target so he could go after them.  One afternoon, we were lying together on the floor, and I told him, "Ball".  And I kept saying it, and he repeated it.  However, I don't know if he may have already said that in day care without us knowing.

mum-mah - He said this when he was a few months old.  My wife was really excited because he said it first instead of dah-dah.  However, he never said it again.  Once he started saying dah-dah, he kept saying it to me, but it took a few more months until he would regularly say mama to her.

dah-yee - Actually, he didn't really say dah-dah much.  He said dah-yee more often.

ah-ah-ah-ter - I've seen other grown ups point to a helicopter and tell a really young child that it's a plane.  I would guess they figure it's simpler to say than a four-syllable word.  I always told Timeout Boy it was a helicopter, and I said it was a plane when it was a plane.  He quickly was able to tell the difference.  Sometimes a friend or relative would tell him it's a plane, and he would correct them.  "No.  Ah-ah-ah-ter."  After some months, it turned into helly-hopper or helly-hotter, until he finally pronounced it helicopter.

Pipper - Kipper the dog, from a TV show.  He would sometimes repeat consonant sounds in words.  Glenda would be den-dah.  Digos (bath) would be dee-dose.  Ryan would be yah-yan.

bah-yah-yah-yah!!! - There's no meaning to this, as far as I know.  But when he was about a year old, he would once in a while, just yell out at the top of his lungs, with all of his energy, "Bah-yah-yah-yah!!!"  Like a tiny little mad man.

I no like... tunder. - This was his first sentence.  It was Monday night.  And I remember because it was the night the Jets hosted the Vikings in the Meadowlands, when right before halftime it just began pouring buckets of rain.  We sat by the window and looked outside.  When we heard a loud rumble I looked at him and said, "Thunder."  He looked at me and said, "I no like... tunder."  It really impressed me to hear him use a direct object in his sentence, although he had to pause to complete it.

I nike.  - Its means, "I like," which means "I want some" in Hawaiian pidgin.  He generally would say "I nike" and open his mouth during meal times, or when he sees you eating something you want.

eddie body - Everybody.

heady dough - Here you go.

on-dinge - Orange.

pee cup - Peacock.

ah boods - The birds.

ah-bump! - He would say this when he first learned to jump.  It was funny because at first he never left the ground.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets! - Yes, I taught him the chant.  He knew how to spell Jets before he could spell his name.  On that Thanksgiving game against the Bengals, when Brad Smith had that touchdown return when he lost a shoe, Timeout Boy said, "It's Jets.  Running, running Jets."  Everytime he sees football on TV though, he says it's Jets, even though they're entirely different teams.

mommy aunty - Mommy and Aunty.  My wife's cousin lived with us for a couple of years to help out with Timeout Boy.  My wife helped her get enrolled and get a job at the college where she works.  They could drop him off and pick him up at day care.  Whenever they arrived in the afternoon, Timeout Boy would look up from his activities and see them, yelling out "Mommy Aunty" repeatedly.  It amused his teachers.

daddy water - Pepsi.  He only said this once when he opened the fridge and saw the liter bottle.  I said, "That's not for you." He said, "Is daddy water".

ah-show - We have this neighbor who used to blast his music from his car at 5 in the morning, before driving off to work.  Sometimes we would be outside the house on a quiet afternoon, and he would just turn his music on and open the trunk so it would get louder.  Things aren't so bad now, but we've never exchanged any pleasantries at all.  One day we were in our yard when the guy walked by and Timeout Boy saw him.  "Ah-show", he said.  I guess he's heard me call him the A-word more than a few times.  Either the guy didn't notice or didn't react.  (Or realized it was true!)  We've been more careful with our language since then.

Well, that's it for now.  I'm sure there's more, and I'll probably come back with another list.  Definitely I'll have to write about some of the latest things he's been saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment